Friday, April 11, 2008

Jiz Another Model

When I was a sophomore at Cal Arts I developed a film concept which was later called "Jiz one of them Days". I had developed a fun sperm character and thought it would be a cool idea to create a film around the idea of the dangers sperm face when leaving the body. I won't go to graphically in detail but it was a funny film which combined live action film editing with CG animation. I never finished the film because I didn't understand the concept of how to model or rig a character very well. So instead of building this detailed model that you see below, I decided to spend two weeks locked in my room learning the basics of 3D rigging, modeling, texture, lighting, and animation. After two weeks I came up with a very simple 3D film, about a minute and a half of animation that I did in my self teaching adventures of Maya. It's not the best film in the world but seeing as how I did it in about two weeks, I had no idea how Maya worked, and I taught myself how to use Maya with that film... I think I did a pretty damn good job.
Well seeing as how I never finished the film the way I wanted to finish it, I never showed my simple Maya project to anybody. Another friend at Cal Arts (Lissa) was on my case about wanting to see my sperm film and how I HAD to finish. Well I promised her that I would finish it, but I never did. So I decided today to start modeling my sperm character the way it was intended to look. Below you'll see what I have of the character so far. I think I'm really diggin' the fleshyness under the eyes. Below you'll find the drawings of the sperm character that I did at Cal Arts, and then below that you'll see the model I'm working on. It took me about an hour or two to get to the point that I'm at right now with the model using Maya 8, and doing a Polygonal modeling.
Above is the original drawing I came up for of the sperm character during my sophomore year at Cal Art.
The four pannel view of the CG model : Top, Perspective, Front, Side
The image above shows the topography of the face so far demonstrating the possibility for facial animation in the eyes and lids.
Comments and suggestions are happily accepted and appreciated. Enjoy.

No comments: